Wednesday, January 30, 2008

January's nearly done.

Thanks Mom so much!

It was like my birthday all over again when I received the letters. It made
me so happy! I love letters.

I wrote a sticky note of things I wanted to write, but once again I forgot
it. You can just call me the absent-minded missioanry. Thank you so much for
putting the money in. I feel so much better. My companion eats out a lot, I
don't always get things, but sometimes I'm just hungry and I need to eat.
I'll probably be using it the most or it at the end of the month when the
other money runs out.

So, as for your questions. No, I didn't have to pay extra on the plane. It
was exactly 50 pounds. My boots have been life-saving (even though my feet
still get cold). I really don't remember with contacts, I don't think there
was a rebate, but I have switched back to using them. A screw from my
glasses from the internet-placea keeps coming loose no matter how many times
or how tight I tighten it. And I don't even know where a glasses place is.
Maybe I'll look into that this week. Besides it's just easier with contacts,
so I'm glad I ordered a year's supply. Even though she might scold me when I
get back I think I'll just make them stretch for the year and a half. My
eyes are good

We had a baptism last week for Hna Maag and Hna Richards in our ward. There
are three companionships in my ward. The one mentioned above, me and Sis.
Milkanin, and Elder Johnson and Elder Rodriguez. They are so cool. The
baptism was for an 8-year-old girl. Her family is less-active part members.
The Elders also had some people, but they didn't feel ready so they had to
postpone it. It was very nice, though I hope she is able to keep faithful.
The family is really nice, but they don't have a firm foundation in the
gospel. The sisters are trying to help, but sometimes it comes down to their
decision.

We also had a missionary activity. We divided the first lesson up among the
three companionships and taught all who come (mostly members, though there
were some non-members). It went really well. I taught about Christ's
ministry on the earth. Even had a really cool example to show them, too long
to expain. If you really, really want to know it, write and I'll tell you
next week.

Oh, so if you want to see some Elders in my mission go to youtube.com and
type in the name "You raise me up: missionary style." It should be two
missionaries in a car singing to Josh Groban. The one not driving, is
actually Elder Johnson my zone leader (though this was done before) The
other is Elder Glycmier who has already gone home. It's way funny. Tell me
how you like it.

It's been good this week, again better than last week. I am getting along
better with my companion, though we are discouraged at times. We do not have
progressing investigators and hardly ever even teach just the first lesson.
So most of our time is spent tracting and street contacting, which isn't
that effective. Our most effective times is spent working with less-actives
in my area (since we don't have any active members in my area): the Galvez
family and the Ortiz family. My spanish seems to be coming along, I talk
more than I used to, but I still don't feel like I really get the practice
in I need. The other night Sis. Milkanin was talking to some Mexican's about
learning Spanish (because they are all shocked that we speak Spanish) and
they concluded it's just practice, and then he told me I needed to just talk
more. I know it was meant with the best of intentions (he was very nice),
but all I could think was, "I knooow! That's what I am trying to do. But I
don't speak much in English, let alone in Spanish!" I didn't say that, but
it put me on the wrong thinking path, so I had to step back and reevaluate.
It's still coming, slowly, but it's coming. And I keep my hope in the
promises I have received concerning it and my mission.

Don't worry, I'm not discouraged all the time. It's just hard to be working
and working and not see any results. So then I think about what I can do
better, but then I see so many things I could do that I start to get
overwhelmed. So I'm trying to get things done one step at a time. It's good
practice for life, definitely can't be a perfectionist in the mission field.
You won't last, but that doesn't mean you can't continually be improving.
Thanks for everything. I love to hear from you and what you are doing. Keep
the faith, be a member missionary, they need your help.

Much Love,
Erin

P.S. It's been cold, but surprisingly we still haven't had any snow. I
usually wear two layers under my dress. Sometimes, three or four when it
gets really cold. It's great! Love you!

No comments: