Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's raining cats and dogs today!

I'd like to individually thank all those who wrote letters. Thank you Ammon
(loved it!), Thank you Mom (your the best), thank you Dad (I love the
booklets), and thank you Sharon (love your guts). And now I'd like to thank
all those who thought about writing me.

Thank you! They brighten any day!

Time continues to pass and I continue to work. I'm still trying to conquer
my fear of speaking spanish. I'll talk now to the members, but I still have
a hard time with strangers. Such the perfectionist in me, I'm trying to
break it down. I, being like I am, look to see if there is an easier way,
but nope. I just have to open my mouth and speak. I was thinking about it
the today. At the mtc they always said, Everyone has sacrificed something to
come on a mission. And I thought, what did I sacrifice, school wasn't too
hard (I knew I could come back and needed a break anyway), family was more
difficult (but I've been away from home before), social life (I don't really
miss tv, radio or anything like that). By definition, isn't a sacrifice
supposed to be hard? and then I realized, I'm giving up my comfort bubble (I
hate comfort bubbles, why are they so hard to break!). Everyday, even though
it's hard for me to call someone in spanish, even though it's hard to
contact and knock on doors in Spanish, I go out and do it. And bit by bit I
am being blessed and the Lord is helping me.

For example, this week I went on a splitz. Sis. Milkanin went up to Kingston
and Sis. Madsen came down with me. So I was in charge of the day. I was a
little more than nervous about it. But I did it. I called the people (which
went terribly, I couldn't understand them), and I went to appointments, and
I went tracting. I was grateful that Sis. Madsen spoke Spanish. But I still
took a bit more on, and I saw that my understanding of Spanish increased so
much, in just one day. That is definitely the gift of tongues. It was
amazing (I still don't like phones, though).

At one point we visited a man and his wife. She wasn't going to let us in,
but he did. Even gave us grapefruit juice to drink, and offered us a beer
(don't worry I refused it). We started talking to him and they were sort of
half-listening while watching tv, until we mentioned the Book of Mormon and
Joseph Smith. Maro (the husband) turned off the tv then and the conversation
actually went somewhere. We talked about authority, about revelation, and
lots of good things They didn't want a return visit, but I really think I
was one step closer. They were Roman Catholic and said it didn't matter what
religion you were, only that you believed in Christ. I learned from that
experience too, I learned that you have to be bold and persisitent. I was
ready to leave at the beginning, but Sis. Madsen kept trying and I really
believed it made a difference. We might stop by in a week or so to see how
they are doing.

I sent some pictures home, so hopefully they get to you in a couple of days.
One is of Sis. Madsen and me. I had to take a picture because it was my
first inclement weather while tracting day. We actually had to extend the
splitz a day longer because it was sleeting up in Kingston and the roads
were cold. It was just rain for us, but it was a steady down pour, but we
were still blessed to find 2 new investigators. I'm still waiting to see if
they will progress, they weren't there for our last appointment with them.
We are trying to keep an upbeat attitude, but it's hard when your not having
much success. I'll be so happy when Spanish comes more naturally and I don't
have a panic attack everytime my companion says, "Will you make the phone
call?"

This week I had someone tell me that I had a Mexican looking face.
Interesting, huh. And then another told me I looked kind of like his
daughter. I knew it all along, I'm Mexican. Just Kidding, but I thought it
was interesting. Norway, Swedish, and England is about as white as you can
get.

We met a cool man at Carvel Ice Cream Shop (he was the one who said I looked
like his daughter). I have a hard time understanding him though. He switches
back and forth from English to Spanish and talks really fast. It was crazy,
but he was nice. Wasn't interested in the gospel, said he was Evangelical,
but that they important thing was how you worshipped in your heart. Pretty
set on it, but he was cool. We'll probably keep going back to visit him
every once in a while, just in case he changes his mind :).

Well, love you much and hope you are doing well. I think about you often and
miss you, but I'm making it through. Tomorrow is my 3 month mark. Crazy,
isn't it? That means I'm 1/6 of the way through. It's good though.

Mom, were you able to pay off the credit card yet. I don't want to incur
late fees. I appreciate so much all that you do.

Love you lots and wish you safety in San Diego. Good luck with taxes too.

Love, Erin Price

No comments: