Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Snowy Day in New York!

Do you want to hear something terrible! I accidentally deleted the message
from Marisa and I can't get it back!!! I would vent my frustration on the
computer, but that wouldn't do any good, I'd just have to replace the
library's computer and I don't think that would leave a good impression of
the missionaries :). Marisa..... could you please mail the letter to me or
just send it by email if you prefer? I'd love you forever. Course I'd love
you forever anyway, but please do send.

I had an glorious (as lot's of the Elders say around here) experience
yesterday. Sis. Koscinski and I had an appointment with Brittany's (a
less-active) boyfriend, which she set up. To be honest, I didn't think the
appointment was even going to happen, but we picked up Brittany from her
place and drove over to Matt's. He wouldn't even talk to us when we first
came in. Brittany tried to persuade him to listen for only 5 minutes, but he
refused. So we talked and taught Brittany instead. As we talked to her
though, Matt came in and started listening for a bit, so my companion, being
the great missionary she is, started talking to him. Ultimately asked him
his goals in life and he replied, "I want to be sober. I want to quit
smoking." And started asking us all these questions about forgiveness and if
it's ever too late to repent because you are in too deep and have committed
too many sins. Of course we said no! It's never too late and your never too
deep. He sat there on the kitchen floor (there were only two chairs, which
he let us sit in), looking at the ground and listening and thinking. It was
an amazing experience.

We are meeting with him again on Sunday to start on the addiction recovery
program and probably talk about a few other things. I pray for him and
Brittany. Everyday it's reconfirmed to me how great this gospel is and how
much it really does bless our family. Thank you Mom and Dad, for all you did
and all that you continue to do. I really had a great family!

The ward here is interesting. There are a lot of good members with good
hearts, but there are a lot of needs also. I've been asked to give a talk on
March 9. And because I'm a missionary I've been upgraded from the first
speaker to the second speaker. Which means that I could have anywhere from 5
to 30 minutes of speaking time. A little difficult to plan for, but what do
you do? We plan, pray, and let the spirit guide. I'm banking on the promise
that if we open our mouths, they will be filled.

The cool thing is that it happens. When I was talking to Brittany, she asked
at one point, "Why does God expect so much of me?" and I answered "Because
he knows exactly who you can become, and he wants you to get there and he
wants to help you." It was a great revelation for me. Sometimes I say
things and find it's good advice for my life. On a mission, "Wow, so much is
expected of me on a mission." But now I have to look and say, it's because
God knows the exact missionary I can become and he will help me, but I need
to do my part and keep trying.

It's been snowing like crazy here. I have some good pictures. :)! They will
come in time.

Sorry, forgot to write a note with the package. It was transfer day and
things were pretty crazy and busy. The rent out clothes to missionaries for
free here. And since we can only go to the temple every 3 months, I didn't
feel like it was worth carrying around. I figured they would be safer at
home. You might get random packages from me as I try to reduce the weight I
have to carry around. When I transferred I left some things and I sent some
things home. Now that I have a better idea of what I need and what I don't
need.

You are great, thanks for all your love and support. Hope all is well and
your spirits are high. I miss you, but time is going by so quickly. It's
crazy.

Te amo,

Erin

No comments: