Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Shout Out From New York

Hello Family,

From the lovely city of Kingston, New York. Yep, I have been transferred and
am no longer a Greenie. Now I know what I'm doing (or so they would like you
to believe). I'm in a Zebra companionship with Sis. Koscinsky, which means
that we do both English and Spanish, but the focus work is in English here.
I'm actually not to worried about my Spanish though, the gift of tongues is
real and the Lord will help me once I get back. I'll continue to study it
and hopefully it won't get too rusty. For future mail, please send to:

66 Downs St #B
Kingston, NY 12401

Which reminds me, that I am running low on face wash and I don't know if
there is anyone here that sells Mary Kay. I'll find out this week and report
to you next week.

Also, I loved my package! It arrived right on Valentine's Day, which was
perfect. I was having the midday blues and it just brightened my day. Not
only that, but the tape must have been inspired because I ran out of mine
the other day. Thanks for that and all the treats. Mail can really be a
life-saver sometimes.

Mamaroneck has been combined with another area, so they sent me farther
north. Sis. Milkanin is actually training a new sister this cycle in
Connecticut. She was really nervous. I told her not to worry because I
turned out fine. Well, I'm still learning, but I continue to do my best. The
best times is when you teach and you teach with the spirit. Every time I
teach, what I'm teaching is reconfirmed to me by the spirit, I love it and I
hope that I have more opportunities to teach here. We didn't have any
investigators in Mamaroneck that wanted to hear past the second lesson. But
I continue to try to increase my faith, that I'll be able to help them.

I had a pretty painful lesson this last week. It's funny because in the MTC
Elder Holland gave a talk and as I reviewed it the other day I found a
statement from him, that fit perfectly. It said, "In the mission, you will
learn things that you want to learn. And then you'll learn things that you
won't want to learn." Some lessons are hard, but after the pain you a
grateful for them. And the lesson was that we need to act. In order for the
Atonement to take affect we need to act, and do our part for the access. You
can think all you want about being a good missionary, but you'll never
improve if you just wish it. As you act, the Lord then applies and helps us
little by little. It goes for any weakness you have. The Lord knows it, he
understands it, and he can help it, but it will never go away unless you
work on it, which can be the hardest thing, but the one that is most
worthwhile afterwards.

It was hard saying good-bye to some of the families. I hope to be able to
go back and see them again sometimes. I took pictures with the Galvez
family, so you will be able to see them in the future. As for my camera, I
don't know if you sent out my memory card or not. My address is new, so if
you have, then they will forward it to me, if not, wait until I give the ok,
next week.

Thanks for the letter Rachelle. I couldn't get any out last week because of
the temple trip and I don't know if I will get any out this week because of
transfers, but I will try.

Here was the highlight of last week. An inactive member (4 years) came to
church! Miracles do happen because it couldn't have been by our efforts. We
have been trying to visit Natividad (that's her name) for the past 3 weeks,
but we could never get in to the apartment building, and then she shows up
at church and with a friend that was interested in learning more about the
church. She even let us help her in contacting a doctor since she knows
little English. It's amazing how they can get along her without knowing any
English. I asked Hermana Galvez if it was hard for her and she said no. All
she needed was enough to get by for the schools and then everywhere else she
went (shopping, entertaintment, and such) was run by Spanish speakers.

I think I've been jumping around in my letter. My thoughts aren't straight
today. Once again, I wrote down before what I wanted to write, but then
packed it away with all my other things. Things are good, not always easy,
but I continue to learn and am grateful for them.

Thanks for your letters. I haven't heard much from Kirstin or Marisa :).
What's going on sisters? Anything new? I heard Marisa got a new job....
since when? And now this letter is exceedingly long, so I will end. Come
back next weeks to hear the adventures of the Zebra Sisters in the lovely
town of Kingston.

Love You All, thank you for your prayers.

Love, Erin

P.S. Could you give me the address for Grandma Beck. I think she is living
in Salt Lake now right? Thank You mucho.

No comments: