Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Temple Trip Adventure

Hey Family,

Letter comes to you a little late because we had an adventure of a day.
Today was my first temple trip in Manhattan. It's a beautiful temple, really
small, but beautiful. They usually do one session at a time with a max of
chairs of 40 people. But they brought in folding chairs to allow more people
in this time. It was so good to visit the temple again. The trip took the
whole day. First, because the cars were grounded, so we couldn't use them.
We had to walk (in the rain by the way) to the train station, then to the
subway, then to the temple. After the temple (which was wonderful) the
missionaries that went grabbed a bite to eat and headed home. Well, we
waited for the train for over an hour. Now, we are rushing because p-day
ends at 6:00. We only have 15 min, plus we have to walk home which is
another 10 min, in the rain. Got to love life!

It snowed so much yesterday. We don't have any new investigators that are
progressing, so we continue to do tracting. We'll see what happens the rest
of the week. I do have a huge tender mercy. Last Saturday, we had a district
blitz in Mamaroneck again. This time I went out with Sis. Maag (the other
greenie). So two greenies walking down a street trying to speak our spanish.
I was just a bit nervous (there is always something to be nervous about).
Well, we skipped one house because we both did not feel good. The next house
nobody was home, the third house we knocked on. The kids answered the door,
when the got their dad I started giving my spiel and next thing I know, he's
saying "Pasen, Pasen!" Translated, "Come in. Come in.". So Sis. Maag and I
taught the first lesson. And we actually got through it. It was completely
crazy, crazy that we were able to do it. I think he understood.

But I can't say that it was completely my works. We found out the some
Elders had taught him (Geraldo) when he lived in New Rochelle, but lost
contact when he moved to Mamaroneck. Still, I think the Lord knew we need a
huge confidence booster, and gave us one. I'll go by with Sis. Milkanin to
see how he is doing this week. The problem is they work so much, that it is
often hard to do return appointments. We try though.

Tonight we have a baptism. The Sisters in Port Chester have been teaching a
21-year-old Guatemalan man. He had a date to be baptized last Friday, but he
didn't feel ready. Well, he called them up Monday telling them he wanted to
be baptized, but he didn't know when. Tuesday, he called up and said he
wanted to be baptized today. They were so excited and a little stressed
trying to plan a baptism in less than 24 hours. From what I hear he will be
a strong member. He has friends in the church, understands and believes all
that is being taught, and had even talked about serving a mission. I don't
know him that well, but he seems really cool.

Thanks for taking care of my card. Expenses have been up a bit as I continue
to take care of things and get myself situated. Guess what... I'm only a
greenie for one more week. Next week is transfers, how crazy is that. Part
of me doesn't feel ready not to be a greenie, but time moves forward. I get
better each week. I get so impatient with this line upon line thing, but I'm
better than I was, and I continue to improve. I know because now when I make
telephone calls my heart only skips a couple bit instead off pounding of the
hook :). I'll have to let you know what happens. Well, time is up. It's
6:00. Thank you so much for your letters and encouragement. You are
wonderful.

Love,
Erin Price

No comments: