Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Nueva York, Nueva York Norte!

Hello Family,

Guess what! I'm in New York and you know what is funny, it feels just like
any other place. Actually, I take that back. The streets are a lot narrower
and the buildings a lot higher than in San Diego and they have random old
buildings along the street. I love the architecture here. I'll be meeting
the people soon enough.

I had a long day of traveling. I got up at 1:30 am to be ready by 3:00 to
leave. Then the traveling began, which ended at 2:45 in New York (I think
that is 11:45 in California). And the first thing my mission president and
his assistants said to the 13 new missionaries (5 sisters, 8 elders) after
all the hellos is... "We're going to Bronx to do contacts!" and that's
exactly what we did. So at about 4:00 we arrived in Southern Bronx and
contacted people. I even spoke Spanish, which wasn't nearly as scary as I
thought it would be. It was basically bearing my testimony about the gospel
and the Book of Mormon. I really enjoyed it. I think my next step though is
to initiate the conversation, the other sister did that. But I'm sure I'll
be doing that soon enough.

Before you get too excited about me being in the big city, I'm not. At least
not in Bronx, Manhattan, or Harlem. My first area is actually the city of
Marmaleck (sp ?). And to be honest, I can't remember my new companion's last
name (Give me a small break, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed). She's been
out in the mission for about 6 months and is very nice. We have different
personalities (much more outgoing with much more exaggerations), but that's
just my first impression, so we'll see how the week goes. I think it will
work out well.

My Preparation day is now on Wednesday, so that is when I'll be emailing.
Today, we have spent the day buying and preparing for the week. We were
actually locked out of the apartment for two hours for part of it. I guess
something out of the ordinary has to happen like that your first day.

I rotate from having pits in my stomach to being surprisingly calm. But I've
decided that if I can make it through my mission, I can make it through
anything, and I'm determined to make it through the mission. But don't
misunderstand, I'm really excited to be here and wouldn't be anywhere else.
I love you all so very much. I'll have to send you my mailing address next
week (along with my companion's name), because I don't know it either. Thank
you for your prayers. You are amazing.

Love,
Hermana Price

No comments: