Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1st week in New York

You'll have to give me a break on the details. Writing was never really a
strength, I much better at doing detail work in art than in my writing. And
it was a very long day for me. In fact, in a manner of speaking it has been
a very long week, full of ups and downs.

Surprisingly the weather was really warm when we arrived. What you would
expect in California and there has been no snow on the ground. The last
couple of days have cooled down. The high's now are in the 30's. It snowed
two days ago, but most of it has melted now. My companion, Hermana Milkanin
(yes I know my companions name now) said that two weeks ago it was 0
degrees. So the worst is yet to come. Don't worry, I'll keep you update on
the coldest days and the hottest days.

I've been learning a lot this week, that's it's very overwhelming. I'm
trying to keep my emotions under control, but I do admit that I did lose it
one day and started crying. I just didn't see how I was ever going to be
able to teach, contact, make appointments, call, and do all the missionary
things in Spanish. But don't worry, I have a great companion who is very
supportive. The thing is, I've only been here a week. I'm not expected to be
able to do it all at once. We've made a goal to do take one step at a time.
The thing is with a new language, I feel like I have to relearn to do
everything and it frustrates me daily (sigh). :)

I did receive a huge compliment from a member in my ward (New Rochelle 1st
ward), Mosiah Ramos. They had me get up and introduce myself and bear my
testimony on Sunday. And after church my companion told me that Mosiah had
told her that she had a great companion (that's me!), and that when she
speaks he feels the spirit, and that I had the missionary spirit around me!
It almost made me cry again, but in a happy way. We then had to teach Sunday
School for the teenagers (which Sister Richards and Sister Milkanin did
mostly) and then Sister Milkanin did Primary Song time (I was just there to
help keep the kids in check). It was good.

We have been doing a lot of tracting and finding here in Marmaroneck, NY. We
are reopening the area so have no investigators. It's been an interesting
experience. As of now, I have only taught one sit down sing, pray, teach,
pray lesson, but it went really well. It was with a woman named Jessica. I
even shared the Joseph Smith story, and a why prophets are important (in
Spanish!). I could feel the spirit and I had another witness that this
gospel really is true and that God does live and love us. We have another
appointment with her next week. Other than that we've been teaching quick
lessons in doorways and on the streets. We don't see much fruits of our
efforts yet, but the Lord sees our work.

We have also been doing a lot of less active work. We visit the Galvez
family almost everyday. They are so cool, though they do have their problems
and struggles (I'm seeing more of the real world, then I ever have before).
The mother is Teresa, but I don't understand her Spanish very well. I speak
English to the kids. Jose (19), Abel (15), Alejandra(14), and Lalo(9). I
know Alejandra and Lalo the most. Alejandra wants to be a chef some day and
Lalo a scientist. They are really smart kids. I help them with their
homework sometimes, but mostly we just go and visit to show them they are
loved and to help them come back to church and do the things they need to.
The kids came to church last Sunday, which made me really happy.

Have you been able to find Ms. Sheehan's address? I'll be checking up on
this every week. If I could find it I would. I'll love you forever. Even her
email address (which you could probably get off the school website) would be
great.

I live in the nicest aparment in the Mission, with another companionship.
Hermana Maag (who is a greenie also) and Hermana Richards. Everyone has been
really supportive of each other and Hermana Maag and I have been learning a
lot. This week has been particularly hard because of the jet lag, but I'm
getting into the swing of things.

Hopefully, I've been more specific. I'm not very good at this yet. All of it
is in my mind, so it makes sense to me. Just ask more questions, and I'll
try to answer.

Congratulations Daniel! I bet her could get a scholarship to BYU also. He
just needs to apply for it there, while for BYU-I it's included in the
application. My first year at BYU I didn't realize this so missed the
deadline. He could look up and apply for it though.

I was wondering a bit about my finances though. Hermana Milkanin and I
actually live in a different city than we work, so we can't go back and
have dinner, so we've been eating out quite a bit. I don't think that is
going to work for my entire mission. There are lots of little things, like
paying for meters and it actually costs a bit to send email since we have to
do it at an internet cafe. I'm thinking I will start making sandwiches for
dinner, but I wan't sure if you had any advice. Well, this email is quite
long and I have to get going. I love you lots. Let me know how you are.

Love,
Hna Price

P.S. They have the coolest architecture here and the biggest house I've seen
in my life. I'll have to send you a picture. Love you.

No comments: