Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Second week

Hello Mom and Family,

It's great to hear from you and thank you so so much for Ms. Sheehan's email
address! It means a lot.

The second week in New York was about the same as the first except different
(How's that for detail :) ). Well, we do a lot of finding, but now I'm
trying to be more involved. I even picked up a call in spanish and switched
a time for a teaching appointment, all in Spanish! That was scary, phones
scare me even more in Spanish then they do in English. My companion still
does a lot, which I feel bad about. I'm trying, but I need to step up a bit
more. We had a talk yesterday, a DTR in a sense. She feels a lot of weight
from this work and feels she needs more support from me. I felt terrible and
it was very humbling, but I can do it. Besides, I'll never learn until I do.
And I have to do no matter how large my fears are. Thanks for the scripture.
My theme scripture has become D&C I think section 38. Well what is says is
"Open thy mouth and it shall be filled.... open thy mouth and spare not, and
you shall become as Nephi of Old.... Open your mouth and it shall be
filled." So that's what I think whenever I do something I don't think I can.
I say, "Erin, open your mouth and it will be filled." And it has.

We are teaching a lady named Erica. She is Catholic, but basically has no
bible or religious background. We taught the plan of salvation, which was a
lot for her to understand. I pray for her and her progress. She has a
husband and 2 kids, so I pray for her success as well.

Last Saturday, we went on a zone blitz (where all the missionaries in the
zone go to one area to tract) to Mt. Vernon. And then I went on a splits
with Hna Maag, the other greenie. To put it lightly, we were just a bit
terrified to go. Luckily (or maybe unluckily, however you want to look at
it), we were in a English area (I still struggle to understand Spanish). Not
many were interested, most were nice. Though we did have one man tell us
that we were facists and that we were brought to the earth by aliens. I must
say that I had been waiting for an experience like this and I found it
rather comical. He told us that we could find out all about it on channel 10
at 5:00 or was is channel 5 at 10:00. It doesn't really matter.

Well, a couple houses down we were invited in to teach. It was an
interesting experience. They were a group of friends in their 20's who9 were
seventh-day adventists. They wanted to know about are beliefs, but whatever
we taught we were interrupted with supposedly contradicting scriptures from
the bible. And they wanted to know where everything was from the bible. And
I realized, I didn't know. I know the Book of Mormon pretty well, but I'm
lacking in the bible. And I know that we are supposed to bible bash, but
what if some day I do need to know, what if it makes a difference to know.
So I'm doing more studying, finding the doctrinal scriptures both in the
book of mormon and in the bible. It's a work in progress, course I'm still a
work in progress as a missionary so all is well.

I'm doing better today, than I was a week ago today and I expect to be even
better next week. Keep me updated on all you do. I love to hear. And mom,
could you send the emails in the mail now, if it's not too much. It's just
that I have to email the president also. You are great.

And I asked about finances last week but I wasn't very specific. We are
given enough to cover weekly shopping, laundry, and other expenses. The only
thing is going out to eat. We don't go every night, maybe 2 or three times a
week because we are away from the house. Do I have the money to be able to
do that? How much money is in the Wells Fargo account?

Also bedsheet, somehow my fitted sheet, I believe, was left in the mtc.
Lame! Would it be cheaper to have you send me one or just buy one here? I
thought it might be cheaper here. But can you buy just a fitted sheet or do
they only come in sets?

Love you much. Have a fabulous week and keep me in your prayers. I pray for
you too! You are amazing and I love heaing for you.

Love,
Sister Erin Price

No comments: