Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hola familia


Hello Family,

Well, I'm glad that the invitation was sent at least. I was feeling a little behind. I knew Jarom was getting married this weekend, but I also knew I hadn't received an invitation. I bet it will be fun! I look forward to hearing what happened and seeing some pictures.

I did receive a new companion who is.... Hna Pena. She was my companion in the mtc. She's been down in the Bronx since we came out and is now in her second area, Greenwich, CT. We joked about being companions on the mission, but I never thought that it would happen. It's a definite change for her. Crazy life.

This past week has been pretty good. We had what I called a blessing day. We went tracting and people were nice (and in an English area too!). We even taught a first lesson. And then we went to see some less-actives and they were all home and happy, and well, the day just went well. Which was what we needed because the day before was an adventure.

So, here's what happened. President Searle gave me some Preach My Gospel DVD's so I could practice listening to spanish some more, but we don't have any tv's in our apartment, so we had to use the tv at the church. Our zone leaders came and unlocked the door for us. They did some work there, but eventually had to leave. It was then that we remembered that we had forgotten to ask them something and so chased after them leaving behind all our things in the building. We talked to them for a bit and they drove off. It was then that we realized.... we were locked out of the building! We had no keys, no phone, no umbrellas (oh did I mention that it was pouring rain the day). All I had was my planner and a dvd remote control.

We did the only thing we could, started walking. We were laughing so hard just because of how embarrassed we were. We eventually stopped at a house and asked to use their phone to call the Zone Leaders again. She was a nice-old lady who even drove us back to the church, where we waited in shame for the Elders to arrive to unlock the door. How embarrasing! They drove up laughing at us. Well, at least they weren't angry. It took a couple of days for the embarrassment to wear off and for it to become just another fun mission story.

We had some investigators come to church the other day. Mirian and Manuel. They have accepted a baptismal date for 18 August. We are so excited for them! I have to call and set up another appointment for this week.

Sadly, we have also stopped teaching, for now Maria and Jairo. They haven't been coming to church and are having lots of problems. It's so sad to see them so, especially when I know that the gospel is what will help them. But they are so preoccupied with things going on that they say they can't meet with us now. We stop by every now and then, but only time will tell what will happen.

Happy Birthday Dad! So.... I'm sending a card in the mail to you. Sorry, it's going to be late, but it's a good one. It should be there within the next couple of days. Hope it was fabulous and that the job is working out well.

I love you all and miss you. Keep safe, keep cool.

Love,
Erin



No comments: