Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Es bueno la obra

Hey Family,

The work is good. It's been a change and I find that amid all the learning and trials that I am learning myself. There are the difficult days, but you have to keep looking up and forward and having the faith that it will get better. Sometimes I start getting discouraged because of spanish, but as Hermana Lakip said, "Siga adelante." Just keep doing my part.

We are still teaching Maria and Jairo. We were so close to stopping our appointments with them because despite their desire, they have not come to church and it's been about 2 months. I think I keep holding on to them because they need to gospel so much. Well, everyone needs the gospel, but I'm afraid their family will fall apart wihout it. I think we've made a breakthrough with them and hopefully this week they will go to the addiction recovery program and church. Otherwise, I'll just have to leave and believe that sometime in the future they will be baptized.

Still I think we talked about both of their concerns. We showed the Restoration to them and Maria told us how she had always had that question too. So we testified that she could know of the truth through prayer by asking specifically and she committed to do that. Jairo just need to know what faith was and how to develop it. So we shared Alma 32 with him. He told us that it made so much more sense what faith was and that he never really understood it before. He was so nice, he even said how he learns so much from us. Well, I would guess that it's the spirit, but I'm so grateful that I grew up in the gospel, learning all these truths since I was young. Thank you Mom and Dad.

We are also teaching Sophia who is from Sudan. It's been an interesting experience because she has no Christian background. I can't remember if I talked about her in the last email, but she learned about Christianity when she was 10 years old and has wanted to be baptized ever since. We gave her a baptismal date for October and we are working towards then. She wanted it earlier, but there is a language barrier as well. So we try to teach as simply as we can. You have to teach really different to those who have no background with Christ.

I'm learning the importance more of more of doing our part by expressing our faith. Believing that good things will happen and then working to have it done. Faith isn't passive, it's working hard even though you probably don't have any idea how the work will come about. How the goals you set will be filled and where you will find that person. It comes from talking to everyone so that you find yourself in the right place and the right time. I am praying to find a family to teach that can be baptized in September. I know there out there. There are hundreds and families, but it's just a matter of finding them and then teaching them by the spirit.

I'm enjoying myself here in Connecticut. I'm learning to love the people and the place. I will miss it when I'm gone. There are some days I look around and think, "Wow, this has gone by so fast. It needs to slow down a little." It's been good. Hard, but good.

I'm glad things are going well in Utah. Thanks for the letters and update and I hope that I'm detailed enough when I write to you about things that are happening. My suggestions for you is to get to know the missionaries, let them know that you are willing to help, and then when they ask to for help, be willing to do so. It's what I wish I had done before my mission, but will certainly do afterwards. I guess it might be a little different in Utah, but develop that working relationship with them. It will move the work faster and farther than it has before.

Ok, off my soapbox. Good luck with school and have fun. Daniel, you are going to love BYU-Idaho. There is so much always going on campus and off. It can be stressful, but it's great. Rachelle and Ammon, I'd love to hear more about school. Sounds like it could be really cool.

Love you Mom, Dad and rest of family. You are amazing and don't lose sight of always sharing the gospel. It brings joy into your life and into the lives of others.

Love,
Erin (aka Sis. Price)

No comments: