Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another week in paradise

Hey Dad, Mom, and Family!

This week has been great. I loved my last companion, but as you know there were the struggles. Hna Pena and I are still learning how to teach together, but it has been good. Tonight we have a great lesson planned for Maria and Jairo about studying the scriptures and praying! I am excited. We had them read 3 Nephi 11 in preparation and we will be following up by seeing what they learned and watching part of the Testaments with them. It's some of the techniques shared in Preach My Gospel. That's such a great book, you really should study from it to!

I was worried about them for awhile because they seemed to stop having interest, they weren't really reading or coming to church or making any sort of effort. But I couldn't drop them yet. Their family would have fallen apart. So we stopped by one night and talked to them. It ended up in an argument and accusations between the two of them. Hna Pena said some inspired thoughts to them (which I can't remember) and before we left I had them each say a pray and in the pray they had to pray for the other companion. I really believe that that was an inspired because the next time we came by they were telling us about what a differenct it had made. How they hadn't fought and that they felt the spirit more in their home. I love the spirit!

As a mission we are focusing on getting 80 baptisms in September. I'm excited for this as well. There has been a lot of focus on spiritually preparing ourselves, so that we can have the spirit to teach others. I'm still learning how to organize all these good trainings and thoughts so that I remember them. I think I've changed my study journal technique nearly 4 times since starting my mission. I'm getting closer to what works for me each time.

Anyway, stories for this week. I ran into a spider web and almost ran into another one. I think that's my fourth time since starting my mission.

We also had a muslim lady come to church. Her name is Sophia and she is really sweet and even told us she wants to be baptized. Unfortunately, we don't know if we can teach her yet. Her family is Muslim, which means we need special permission to teach her. She was telling us about how she had learned about Christ in Sudan and had wanted to know more, but was to scared because her family could kill her for it. She lives with her sister here and she can't let them know that she is going to church. It's so sad that those who have that desire to learn and come unto Christ can't because of the religious/social situations around them. It makes it even more frustrating when those who have the ability to learn don't because of apathy. This is so important! We don't know what will happen, but hope that some way will open that we can teach her without putting her in danger.

I wish I could have been at the wedding, but such is part of life. I haven't seen any pictures of it yet, but maybe Marisa just hasn't caught the time to be able to send them. I'd love to see how the reception went. I'm sure it was lovely. Do you have the address for Jarom and Taylor? I'd love to have it.

I'm 5' 2". I always knew I'd be the shortest in the family. I saw a picture of Rachelle in one you sent of McKeltie. She looked so pretty! You know, not many people can pull such beauty with a mask over their face. She's got talent.

And I remember when I was the oldest at home. It was a little strange at first. I really believed that I learned (even though I didn't really know it) qualities during that time that prepared me for the future. I'll be quite honest, one of my favorite memories was family dishes as we each took our spots (drying, washing, rinsing, etc) and sang and danced to music. We had our arguments then too, but I also loved the bonding. It was great.

I'm excited for this week. I'm rededicationg myself to writing down events so that I'll have more specific stories to tell you. It's been fun and thanks for your letters and support. It always comes at the time I need to most.

I love you lots and glad you've found paradise in Utah. It must be an exciting change.

Love,
Erin



No comments: