Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good, Good Times...

So.. honestly I am doing better. I've really been working on focusing this week and particpating more in Spanish. Yes, it still is a day to day struggle for me. And really putting all my heart into the work. I was talking to some sisters the other day and we were saying how easy it is to be outwardly obedient, but the real struggle is in controlling you mind and controlling you heart in really putting your whole heart in to the work. It didn't realize how much that would be a struggle, but I'm learnin. That's why the Lord doesn't say... "I require that you do this..." but instead he requires "the heart and a willing mind." And I continue to learn.

These past couple of days have been higher. We stopped by Maria and Jairo Jimenez. We were nervous that they were going to drop us because we hadn't heard from them in awhile despite are numerous calls and visits. But we stopped by yesterday and talked to Jairo. It turned into an impromptu lesson about tithing and word of wisdom, which he committed to live and told us he still wanted to be baptized on the 26th! We are so excited. The wife stills struggles with smoking, but she really wants to quit and we are working with her on that.

We also met with William Stimeberg yesterday. He's retired. We tracted into him about two weeks ago, but he went on vacation. It was so cool, he had so many questions. He knew a lot about the church history in general and was appalled by it.... perfect for the apostasy. He didn't believe in infant baptism and readily accepted the fact that God could call a prophet today. It was a good lesson. He told us that he would read the Book of Mormon and pray. We will be following up with him this week. He even told us how Elders had knocked on his door 20 years ago and he had let them in, but that even though they were nice they just brushed over the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith (which I can understand with the 7 discussions), which is what he thought was the most distinguishing factor. I'm praying that he will sincerely pray and feel the spirit.

Oh, I learned how to make empanadas yesterday. We went to the Vidal's house for lunch and she taught me. It was pretty good, but so greasy. And they kept feeding us. I'll be honest, I was sick by the end. Sisters can not eat as much as Elders can even though the members think it's the same. Sis. Lakip and I were both really sick by the end. Fortunately it wore off during the day.

Today was fun too because a group of elders and us sisters  went to a member's house in New Canaan, who has this huge house, and basketball/tennis court, trampoline and such. We played basketball, tennis, wiffle ball. So much fun. Elder Garcia was even teaching me how to skateboard... it was actually pretty cool. It ended with a game of ultimate frisbee... what fun. But it is so hot and humid here. You get all sweaty, but there is really nothing you can do about it.

Hope the move goes smoothly and that you have tons of fun. I hope you know that I still tell everyone that I am from California.... :) It will always be my hometown, but it will be fun to see all the changes when I come home. Still... that's a long time away so I won't think about it. Let me know the new address so that I can let the office know. Or maybe you should just call the office and let them know because I don't know all the information they need. Let me know if you would prefer to do that.

Love you lots. Keep me in your prayers and mailing list. ;) It helps a lot. I pray for you too.

Love,
Erin

P.S. I got the package... thank you so much. I'm all ready with my rain jacket now. You are amazing family. What more could a sister missionary want... love you.



No comments: