Friday, July 25, 2008

de Connecticut

Hello Mother,

Well, I know I've been rather high emotion the last couple of times I've emailed. I guess I was looking for advice, support, something. Well, I was looking for some magical solution to solve my problems, but unfortunately, there isn't that magical solutions. It's diligence, trust in the Lord, and continually working on the small things.

All my life, I've seen my weaknesses and focusing on getting rid of them only to be discouraged when they never seemed to go away. This week I decided that I'm not expected to get rid of them. My part is to work diligently and let the grace of Jesus Christ lift me up. Relying wholly upon the Lord is one of the hardest things to do and yet the most rewarding. Being born again is a process because we give up our will portions at a time throughout our life as we understand and accept the Atonement of Christ. I can't say I understand it all, but it is a little more clearer to me.

Some lessons of life I've learned (besides the one above):

We must remember to see the tender mercies of the Lord. As we do we are blessed even more. The Book of Mormon begins saying the Nephi will show us the tender mercies the Lord gives to the faithful (1 Nephi 1:20). Then in Moroni 10:3-5 it admonishes to ponder the mercies of God in our hearts. The Book of Mormon begins and ends telling us to remember those tender mercies we receive everyday.

Then we need to remember to give thanks. Giving thanks is just as important as pleading with needs. We can't forget or brush over giving thanks to the Lord. I believe it is in D&C that says that in nothing is the Lord angry except when we forget to give thanks to him. (That's not a direct quote, you might want to look that up).

And I continue to learn these day by day. I still have fears and worries, but at the moment, they are a little more under control. Hopefully by the end of my mission they will be all gone.

But fun stories of the week. Sis. Lakip and I were going to drop up a Together Forever DVD that a lady had requested and I guess they don't use their front door very often because I walked straight into a spider web! It must have been newly woven because I didn't even see it  coming until it was too late. Sis. Lakip just laughed at me :), but I would have done the same thing if the roles had been reversed.

We also had to clean this week to get rid of bed bugs! That's right, the other sisters (Sis. Johanson and Stirling) had bed bugs and so the whole apartment had to be sprayed with this permethrin stuff and all our clothes bagged for washing. It smelled terrible, but it's what we do for a comfortable nights rest without having to worry if any critters are going to eat us alive. The sisters are now sleeping with the mattresses on the floor because we took apart their wooden bed (bed bugs hide there). I haven't been bitten yet (knock on wood).

Had a crazy event yesterday. There was a family preparing for baptism, but started avoiding us. We found out yesterday that the mother had done some illegal drugs and the father was kicking her out of the house and had called the police. I felt very uncomfortable because half the time I didn't know what they were saying, how do I respond when I don't know what they are saying? Sis. Lakip had to fill me in on things afterwards. Keep praying that I will be able to rely on the Lord because transfers are coming up and I don't think that I'll have my companion around to help with spanish. It's a scary thought, but I guess I knew it would happen some day.

And now that I have written another forever long letter. I will bid adieu. So glad the move went well. Don't worry about calling the office. Just send me your new address, phone number, email address (if it's different than this one) and what ward and stake you are in. I'm supposed to call the office anyway. Mom, Dad, and family--- I love you lots. Thanks for all you do and all your support. I have the best parents (and family) in the world.... no joke.

Love,
Erin


No comments: