Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Some good stories

Hello Family,

So... That is some pretty big news that I heard. Jarom's engaged! How
exciting and Tayler is so sweet. It is indeed crazy how quickly life
changes. And the house is up for sale. Even crazier. Though I do find the
idea of coming home to a new place rather exciting. Even though I will miss
the old one. Lots of memories, yes. Lot's of good memories.

So, I'm sure you want to hear about some of the good stories that have been
going on. Story number #1

Rose. She was a media referral who requested a Book of Mormon. It was
actually a mistake. She thought she had studied it with Mormon's before, but
it turns out that they were Jehovah Witnesses with the Bible. Funny how
people are led. Still we taught about Joseph Smith and the restoration. I
really couldn't tell how she took the idea. She seemed friendly enough, but
not really interested. Though she is very religious.

We had another appointment with her, but she cancelled because of work,
which disappointed us because she was going to give us a call. And to us
that is code for, "I really don't want to talk to you anymore, but I don't
want to tell you that." Yes, I'm finding many forms of rejection, but there
really isn't much I can do about that.

But that just made us all the more excited when she called up and said,
"Hey, can you come over today. I got off work early." So of course, we made
room and visited her. It turns out that her son used to attend Church, but I
don't think he goes much anymore. I've been learning a lot about the Holy
Spirit and the power it brings. Like it said, "If ye have not the spirit, ye
shall not teach." So I was praying (partly because I felt like I wasn't
teaching very clearly), "If nothing else, feel the Spirit, just help her
feel the Spirit." Still, she was liked a closed book. I couldn't really tell
how she felt. Until at the end when we asked will she be baptized when she
knew it was true. Her response, "Probably, it just feels right." Oh how
excited we were. We still have some challenges to pull through since she
works so much. We are waiting to hear from her once her schedule settles
down. If we don't hear within the next couple of days we will give her a
call.

Good story #2: So we had two appointments set up for Sunday. Yet, as we went
to go meet with them. They weren't there. Lame. So we went tracting. The
first door, nothing. The second door, not interested. The third door, not
interested and closed the door behind that had previously been open when we
walked up (Are the trying to prove a point? I don't know) Basically, we had
no success, until the last door. We spoke to her about families and how a
prophet can bless them and she was interested. But she is going on vacation
for the next two weeks, so we have to call her. Still, it wasn't a
I'm-trying-to-avoid-you excuse. I can usually tell those. She was quite
sincere. So we'll be back to visit her.

Good story #3- The NYNYN mission is currently the number one baptizing
mission in the Eastern States and Canada. That's pretty cool. We were behind
Philadelphia for a long time, but not anymore. Still, I know that it isn't a
competition, but we were pretty happy to hear that. Can't let pride get in
the way. Maybe that's why I haven't had a baptism yet. I don't know. Maybe
I'll never know what good I've done till the next life, but I just keep
working and praying for the Lord to guide my success. Sometimes it's hard to
accept his will, but we learn and grow from it.

Just got asked if I had a boyfriend (rolling of eyes). Told him I didn't
because I was on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints. Then taught him about how Mormon's are Christians and what the Book
of Mormon is, concluding it with an invitation to church. Bet he wasn't
expecting that. Oh goodness. Some people.

Loving mission, loving life. Hope you are still all well.

Love, Erin

No comments: