Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Armor of God

To all loved ones near and far or wherever you are,

Still have my poetry skills. ;)

Kingston is grand! I hope I'm here another cycle, but it's always hard to
predict what will happen in the future.

Last week (you saw the pictures) Sis. Rutalante took Sis. Vathauer and I to
see the world's largest kaleidescope and Woodstock. It was pretty cool, she
said possibly in the future she would take us to see. Opus 40. I'm not sure
if that is how you spell it, but it's sounds really cool. She explained it
to me once, but I'm not sure what it is, something with rock.

But, on to the work. It has slowed down a bit the past few weeks, which
makes things frustrating. It's hard not to think, what am I doing wrong?
What do I need to do better? Why isn't our work giving results? (You are
right Mom, those thoughts do come in often.) The thing is, I often have to
take a step back and think, "Don't you remember your blessings? Don't you
remember your talents? Don't you remember that you are called of God?"
Reality check. God's in charge and though always are things I can improve,
he knows my thoughts, intents, weaknesses, strengths, and desires. So I
block them out, or try to. But I do really enjoy the work here. And I
recieve tender mercies daily to let me know to keep working, moving forward,
and trusting in the Lord.

We found a new lady this week to teach. Her name is Milly. She's a single
mother with 4 kids. She was sitting on her porch when we first walked by
her, but we didn't stop on talk. Well, turns out we went by her house again
(to get back to the car of course) and she was still there. So I thought,
"well, why not?" Before I could even get more out than "Hey, out enjoying
the weather?" she says, "You're missionaries right, the mormons. Can I have
some reading materials, I would really like a bible too." And so we set up a
time to go by and teach her. She's really sweet and looking for change. Our
first lesson was really short with her because of an interruption, but
before we left she said, "Come back, please. I feel something when you are
here. I feel comfortable!" Yes, the Spirit! That's good to know that I have
it with me. :). So we have another appointment with her on Sunday.

After someone is baptized, you reteach the lesson to them, which is what we
have been doing with Sage Lambert. She's 13, and struggling a bit in the
gospel, so even though we finished the lessons, we continue to teach her.
Our goal has been to help the scriptures come alive for her. So... Sis.
Vathauer came up with the idea of fortifying ourself against the attacks of
Satan and we read 3 Nephi chapter 3 with her replacing her name for
Lachoneus and Satan name's for Giddianhi. And then Sis. Vathauer had me put
on some armor. Which consisted of a colander helmet, spatula sword, and a
tuperware lid shield. Then I defended myself against the fiery darts of the
adversary. It made her laugh, which is a step with her. She's kind of
apathetic towards life, just trying to find her way as a teenager.

We went tracting in the rain the other day. At one point my jacket had been
soaked through, so we went to some apartment buildings. Unfortunately you
still had to go outside to get to different buildings. So there was me,
running with my bag atop my head trying to stay as dry as possible. I was
really wet and didn't really feel very official with rain drippping down my
forehead, but what do you do. Nothing really, just laugh. We then had family
home evening with the Cook family. It was strange being in a setting like
that again. We sang popcorn popping as an opening and played guess the
animal game. Whoa, been a long time since I had family home evening like
that. I enjoyed it very much.

We went to the temple today. It was lovely. At some really good chicken and
rice from a street vendor and feeling a little lost in NYC, good thing my
companion knows where she is going. Well, we need to get going. Need to get
some things done, before the day gets away from us. I love you lots. Keep in
touch.

Love,

Erin

No comments: