Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another crazy good week in crazy good Kingston

Hello Family,

Guess What! I'm still in Kingston. Sis. Koscinski was transferred down to
the city, which left me and Sis. Vathauer to take over the area. We are
excited, but I must say a little nervous too. This is her first time being
Senior companion, so she is nervous. Still, she wants to work hard and does.
It should go well.

This week we found a new investigator. Her name is Hillary and we are really
excited. We went to go teach her sister who wasn't home, but we invited her
to learn more and she accepted. As we taught her she would ask questions
like. "Do your members smoke? Because I don't believe people should."..."How
do you dress at church? Do you show the respect by dressing in a
skirt."...and of course the classic, "Do you worship Joseph Smith?" She was
happy to know that Jesus Christ was central to our belief. She even said she
was planning to come to church on Sunday.

I had a splits last Saturday where I went down to Connecticut with Sis.
Lakip. It was different being back in the Spanish program. The people are
nice, but I still get really nervous when listening because I don't
understand as well as I would like to. I know, I know, it takes time. Sis.
Lakip even told me that I needed to be more confident in my abilities
(Everybody keeps saying I understand more than I realize, which sounds like
a ridiculous statement to me, but maybe it's true. Wouldn't I know if I was
understanding or not?). It's a thorn in my flesh that I'm working on and
which always reminds me of Ether 12:27. (Sigh) I keep trying.

And for now, I keep working in English.

We had a baptism last Saturday for a Jessica Kellbaugh that turned 8. It was
interesting. We were able to get Kenny and Jaime there for it (Kenny is an
investigator with a baptismal date, which we really hope goes through. When
we taught him the Word of Wisdom he dumped out his coffee and coffee grinds.
It's just that his wife isn't quite as interested and he hesitates to do
things without her). Apparently the daughter has a fear of water. It took
her quite some time and encouragement to get her into the font, and then she
refused to go to the center. Then with everyone watching it became a power
struggle between daughter and father. Eventually she was baptized, but he
had to hold her to keep her from retreating to the steps. Yes, interesting.
Fortunately, Kenny and Jaime enjoyed it still and Jaime even said she felt
comfortable in the church building, which she usually doesn't feel. We had
some complaints from members when they saw them smoking outside. We hadn't
quite gotten to the word of wisdom by that point. My advice is not to be too
judgmental of people. These are people trying to change their life. They
grow and learn too.

Had dinner at the Wootan's which is basically a Utah family living in New
York. They are really nice and missionary minded. I love that! And we were
able to attend the Young Women Broadcast. It was amazing. I love conference!

Happy Birthday Daniel! You are how old now? Officially an adult! Hopefully
you got my card because it's a good one. :)!

Sorry this letter is a little A.D.D. at the end. I need to get home and take
a nap. Wednesday is my only nap day and I'm dead tired this week.

Love you Dad, Mom, and Family. I continue to pray for you. Trust in the Lord
with all thy heart...and he shall direct thy path.

Love,
Erin

No comments: