Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Missionary to the rescue!

Thanks for your email Mom!

I was thinking about it the other day. I usually write emails at about 10:00
here (today is a little later than usual) so that would make it 7:00 your
time. And then I was thinking, I wake up at 6:30 in the morning which would
be 3:30 am for you. Just one of those random things I think about at times.

I'll be honest, this last week has been rather discouraging. I hit my low on
Sunday. Emotionally I've been building up since then. We were supposed to
have 3 people for sure, show up on Sunday, but not one of them came. And we
haven't had any new investigators, and all our old investigators weren't
there at the appointments or cancelled. Ugh... but I'm sure the Lord is
teaching me. I think he's telling me to 1) be patient 2) work hard and 3)
contact more people on the streets (I struggle with that one). Monday
morning I had to laugh (remember I was still low about Sunday's rejections)
because when I opened the Book of Mormon to continue reading where I left
off, the first words were, "and if ye shall endure to the end, ye shall be
lifted up at the last day." I've had several of those small experiences,
such the scripture in Alma that say, "Be not weary in well-doing for such
shall find rest to their souls." I noticed that it didn't say rest to their
bodies, but rest to their souls. Ok, ok, I can take a hint.

So here's my fun experience for the week. Sis. Wooton is a member of our
ward. Very quiet, very reserved, but very sweet. She invited Sis. Vathauer
and I over for dinner on Monday so that we could meet some friends of hers
that she wanted to introduce to the gospel. Of course we agreed. As we
traveled to her house we called her to let her know that we would be 10
minutes late. A very flustered Sis. Wooton answered the phone. I told her
that we were running a little late and she said, "When will you be here?
They are asking lots of bible questions?" After hanging up the phone I
thought of how ironic the situation was, before my mission I would be the
Sis. Wooton worried about the bible discussion, anxiously awaiting the
missionaries arrival, but now I'm the missionary who is coming to save the
day. Surprisingly I wasn't that worried even though I was anticipating a
bible bashing evening (and I don't know the bible well enough to do bashing,
which is ok because we aren't supposed to bash anyway).

We came in on a discussion of the scripture in Romans 8:8. Something to the
effect of "no man can dwell in the flesh and have the spirit of God." I was
worried at first, but the discussion ended well. By the end of the night the
friend, Tony, said he had learned a lot. We are not sure yet if he is
interested in learning more. We will talk to Sis. Wooton about it.

The weather has warmed up so much. In fact, the bush outside our yard is
these beautiful white flowers on it. I thought of taking a picture of it,
but haven't done it. I've even gone tracting a couple times without a
jacket, which is a big deal. All the snow is gone and though we have colder
rainy days in between, all in all it's getting warmer. And it's getting
lighter earlier in the morning, which I am happy with. I don't really like
having to get up when it's still dark outside. It's even warm enough that
I've gone running a couple times with Sis. Vathauer. I love spring!

I will be sending pictures soon. I will have about three cds to send by the
end of today. They've been building up. It's just that my last preparation
days have been filled with unusual things. For example, last p-day was
filled with our super looking over things at our apartment because we walked
in one night to the smell of gas. Sis. Vathauer was quite worried over it.
She didn't want me to turn on the light because it might cause an explosion.
Don't worry it didn't. But she did convince me to not try the stove top. I
don't think it would have caused an explosion, but I guess I could be dead
right now ;). According to Sis. Vathauer, I've gone down on the "Social
Darwinism" scale.

Don't worry, we have a new stove now that is beautiful and doesn't leak gas.
And a washer machine. But time is short. I love you and hope I answered some
more questions. Feel free to ask because sometimes I experience things so
often that it's just normal for me, but could be of interest to others. Love
you lots and miss you lots. Thanks for the letters and prayers. I will pray
for you.

Love,
Erin

No comments: