Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What a week! part two (email received 11/27/2007)

Hola Familia,

I received all your letters yesterday. I think I'm pretty safe in saying that I win for the most letters received in one day, and I got my a package too (with my glasses, which I am sporting right now). But luckily this isn't a competition. I read all the letters last night and enjoyed them most thoroughly (spelling? one of the side affects of all this spanish is that I'm forgetting english).

I had a cool experience at the RC last Saturday. The RC is the Referral Center where people can call about advertisments they saw on tv or the pass along cards and receive free Books of Mormon, or Bibles, or church DVD's, or just to have missionaries come by. Well, I was making a confirmation call a man to see if missionaries had been able to visit him yet. What ensued was a 30 minute conversation about the gospel. He asked so many questions from why the elders wear suits, to if we believed in the Trinity, to Heaven and Hell. Some things I could explain, others I struggled with. (Rachelle, I want you to know that explaining the gospel can be hard sometimes, since we grew up with it and are familiar with it. I still struggle doing it, I actually have lessons on simplifying the gospel so others understand. They are new concepts for them. The best thing to do is to bear your testimony and keep it simple. Pray for the spirit as you do. I'm so happy that you get the opportunity to share the gospel to others!) I think the spirit was strongest when I was testifying to him that God lives, and loves each one of us and is watching over us no matter our color, and that salvation and this gospel was meant for everyone. He was from south, so I think he had some apprehensions about going to church (which I invited him to do) and being rejected. I'm still praying today for him, the missionaries who are teaching him, and for the people that are there.

I saw for the first time this week, myself being able to teach and speak in Spanish. I still have a lot to learn and struggle with the language (who doesn't though), but for three weeks I'm not doing too bad. Sometimes it's hard because I feel like a little kid again, struggling to say the simplest things. But I do believe that we receive the gift of tongues not only as we work hard, but as we testify. I find my days are better when I have shared my testimony to others in Spanish. I understand more and the Spirit is with me. El Evangelio es verdadero en cualaquiera idioma hablamos (Trans: The gospel is true in whatever language we speak). I love it! I feel very humbled at times at my inadequecies, but I'm learning to trust the Lord.

Do I sound like a missionary yet?

Mom, about my spanish cards, you don't have to send them until the next package. It's not critical I have them, just helpful. I still have plenty of words here that they are giving me. I love you all so very much. Thanks for your encouraging words, the help me probably more than you know. You are one amazing family.

Love,

Hermana Price

No comments: