Tuesday, November 13, 2007

First week in the MTC


Hola Famila,

Are you surprised to hear from me through email. Apparently they have it now, they just haven't updated the books. The one catch is that I can only check it on Tuesdays and I only have 30 minutes. So I would still appreciate any letters you can send through the mail. Because I can read those at night any day. It is PO Box 100.

It has definitely been a new experience for me. Pero me encanta el mtc, it is so uplifting and spiritual. The first day I came here I found out that I was a solo sister, which means that my companion is in a different district (or different class). But not only am I a solo sister, but I'm also the only one in my class, so I get a lot of attention from my two teachers. Hermano Ezpinoza (He's from Mexico) and Hermana Cochrane.

I was quite overwhelmed my first day. Since I was the only one who came in that was intermediate spanish, I was introduced to the mtc with a group of elders that speak fluent spanish and I didn't understand a word they were saying. Thankfully, I understand much more already. Almost everything... if they speak slow and use basic words. But everyone is so encouraging and nice.

Yesterday I had a zone meeting and my zone learned some spanish grammar. That wasn't too hard, I already knew the concept, but then we had a gospel section about doing street contacts. And they had us practice, so I was put into a companionship (my companion was not there) and we practiced doing street contacts in spanish! (the teachers pretended to be people on the street). At the first one I literally froze and my companion did all the talking, until she prompted me at the end, "Ask for his address." I stared blankly at her for a moment, but regained enough composure to ask him for his address and when we could come by to "teach him." She had me start the second and third one, but after getting so far I froze again and she had to pick up the slack. I am happy to say that by the last one I did alright, though I had to switch back to English to finish the contact.

I am sleeping well at night and getting used to the early mornings. Sometimes I get frustrated (already) that my spanish isn't fluent, but I keep reminding myself that I need to be patient and work hard. I am playing a game with some elders called nativo, where if you pick the nativo slip of paper you can only speak spanish the next day. It was our first time doing this and I was the lucky one to get nativo. So I haven't said very much yet today, but I'm trying. I'm also practicing bearing my testimony in Spanish, so today I want to practice on you.

Yo se que JesuCristo is my Salvador y que El murio por mi. Yo se que Dios y JesuCristo viven y me aman y se ama. Yo se que Dios llamo un profeta y el profeta hoy es el presidente Gordon B Hinckly. Yo se que familias son eternos. Digo estos en el nombre de JesusCristo. Amen.

The time left is short, but I want you to know that I love you and feel your love even here. Know that I am well and that I am enjoying myself, but also working hard. They dont' waste time here at the mtc. I only have a 25 minutes to shower and get ready for the day! But I am on the Lord's time and I am here to learn and work.

Also, I think I forgot my debit card. I haven't finished unpacking completely, but I'm not sure where it is. Could you please keep your eyes open for it. It is the gold card. Don't panic though. Remember Mom, everything can be resolved.

Love you,

Hermana Price

No comments: