Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Week 2 in the MTC (email received 11/20/2007)

I'm not sure if I will be able to remember and answer all the questions, but I will try.

The mtc has been a new experience for me. We have speakers all the time that are so inspirational. They also have some good ones on tape. Last week, I was having rather a hard day (being frustrated with Spanish) and my teacher showed a talk given by Elder Holland called the Miracle of a Mission. In the message, he clearly and animatedly said, "Never give up! Do not go home! My mission meant everything to me. If you go home it will ruin your life!" Pretty powerful, huh.

My emotions tend to go up and down. Some days I'll be excited about Spanish and teaching the gospel, while other days I wonder if I can ever do this. I think I've been praying here like I've never done before and I have felt the Lord's hand and his Spirit. I found a scripture (sorry I can't remember the reference) that said to look forward to the fruit of your labor, with patience and faith. So that is what I am really working on this week, being patient with myself and having faith that the Lord will keep his promises. (Dad's note: possible scripture reference Alma 32:41-43)

I do enjoy the mtc. I'm learning how to teach and about the gospel (though I must say that most of it right now is review), but I do learn new things and come to understand each doctrine better and how they all connect. I taught my first lesson in the TRC this last Friday. I had to talk to the volunteer in Spanish and set up an appointment for "later." It wasn't so bad. The lesson was in English and went well, I even did it with minimal notes. I'm so excited now, to be able to know the doctrine well enough that I can teach without notes and instead be guided by the spirit. That's one of my goals for the mission.

My companion is very nice. Hermana Silva, she will be going to the Provo, Utah mission. She understands a lot of Spanish because her parents are Cuban and Puerto Rican, but she never learned to speak it. In her words, she was a rebellious child. She has a great love for the Lord and is a great example to me.

I did meet an elder who was going to the same mission as me last week, but he left that week too. A couple who were going to the New York, New York South, but as far as I know, I'm the only Spanish speaking sister who is going to the New York, New York North. The other day I met an elder who was from New York City and he showed me some pictures of it. It looked quite colorful with all the graffitti :). It was kind of cool to me (being somewhat of an artist) to see, but I guess it is against the law to do those sort of things. But I have a feeling that I'm going to love New York. I will definitely have to send you pictures when I get there.

I haven't been able to send any pictures yet because my batteries don't work. It's very tempermental, when it does work I can only get 1 or 2 pictures out of it, even though the batteries are fully charged. I'll have to buy some different ones.

I did receive the package yesterday and your letters. I love hearing from you and am glad to hear your prayers. I have a lot to learn and all faith from family is appreciated.

Oh, something fun. I play volleyball during gym time, which is so much fun in itself. But what's even better is that because I can do decent serves and I dive for the ball everyone once in a while, people think I'm amazing!I love you all and pray for you as well. Thank you for all your prayers.

Love,
Hermana Price

2 comments:

Nathan P. said...

Dad-thanks for posting these letters. They are wonderful to read.

Nathan P. said...

I just realized...I think the title of the blog, to be spelled right, is "sirviendo con gusto" with an i.