Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oh what fun!

Dear Family,

I wrote down a whole list of things I wanted to tell you about and being like I am sometimes, I left it on the table.... Hopefully I can remember it all.

We did get permission to teach the Muslim lady, but after a few lessons we haven't been able to contact her. We are not sure what happen, but we have a few guesses. One is that she has a Christian cousin that she talks to a lot and when she called us last she said that her cousin told her not to read the Book of Mormon and doesn't think she should learn about Joseph Smith. We are going to try her again today. Hopefully we can get a hold of her.

We recently had to drop all, but one of our investigators. It seems so discouraging at times. The goal for the mission is to get 80 baptisms in September with every companionship baptizing. At this point, Sis. Pena and I are looking for miracles because the person would have to be super prepared, but it could happen! Miracles happen everyday.

We did find a person the other day. Her name is Betsy and she struggles with depression. She was at first really resistant for us to come in, but finally let us in. We'll be following up with her tonight. Also have another appointment on Saturday with another potential named Wendy. I'm really excited for her because when I talked to her on the phone she was already saying things like, "Rules are there to help. That's what I've learned in my life and I don't see why every else has it the opposite way." It will be good.

One of the things I've realized recently is how much I've grown to love the people here. For example, we taught a lesson to this retired man named William about a month ago. After one lesson we werent' able to make contact through phone or visits and the other day I felt like we should go by and see him. So we did and he was home. He was telling us about how it's been there in the back of his mind. The analogy he used was that he was standing there on the diving board, not sure if he is ready to jump in. He believes in the apostasy and see the need for the restoration. He really finds the Book of Mormon interesting as well as Joseph Smith. He just needs to take that leap of faith, and it kills me that he doesn't.

And same for all the other investigators that we have recently stopped visiting because they won't do what needs to be done to prepare for baptism. Maria and Jairo who have eveything to gain from the gospel. Even people we meet on the street I'm starting to feel that love for them too. It's amazing and heart breaking at the same time.

I see people and I think. I want to see you one day in the celestial kingdom. I don't want you to be missing there. How great a reunion it will be to see these people again. The scripture in D&C 18 has taken on greater significance. How great will be your joy if it so be that ye bring one soul unto Christ. And then how much greater will be your joy if you bring even more souls unto Christ. Joy comes from serving others as you desire to see them succeed and able to know that that soul was not lost. I might sound very much like a missionary right now, but that's ok. I love it! Even with all the discouragements. I keep praying that my love with increase even more for these people.

But we do still have Mirian. She hasn't accepted a baptismal date yet, but I don't feel like we should drop her. We are trying to build her faith. She doesn't want to start something she won't finish and she has fears in that. The other day we went to a dinner appointment at the Baltazar family's home and she asked us about tithing! And she was fine with it, which is one lots of people struggle with. She even told us on Sunday that she decided not to go to a Saturday activity at the church, so that she could go on Sunday. She's another one that I just want so badly to be baptized because I want to see her again someday in the Celestial Kingdom.

Oh man. I could go on and on with all the people and yet still trying to get that baptism.

But we had a great Sisters training on Tuesday about baptismal commits and practice extending dates.

Oh, we heart attacked some member's house the other night.... it's so much fun and it never gets old. I'm glad I'm a sister missionary and can do those kinds of things.

Love you lots and hope you are well. Sounds like it. Thanks for keeping in touch so well.

Love,
Erin


No comments: