Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Good news....

Hello Mom, Dad, and Family,

Some amazing things that happened this week. We have been teaching an older
man from Honduras whose name is Basilio. He has accepted a baptismal date.
He's great! We taught him the Plan of Salvation the other day and he just
took it all in. I asked him what he thought of it afterwards and if he
believed it. He said, "Well, it's different, but I believe because you
taught me it." It reminds me of the scripture that says something to the
affect of "Blessed be those that believe on your words." Of course we told
him to continue praying and reading about it and he would know with more
surety.

My birthday went well. We were at church from 7:30 am to about 4:00pm. There
were meetings in the morning, then part of the English ward, and then the
Spanish ward, and then a baptism which we stayed for support (and because
Sis. Lakip was playing the piano and I was leading). Lots of people from the
hispanic ward attend the baptismal services.

Funnry story this week. We taught a lesson on Monday for a family home
evening at the Arenas' home. They had several families over. So Sis. Lakip
and I taught about faith and how many times the situation seems dangerous or
scary and we are not sure how we will get out of it, but then at the moment
we think we are going to fail, the Lord lifts it away. (Alma 36:3). We had a
demonstration afterwards where you take a tea bag (the kind that's stapled
shut) and empty out the contents and stand it up on your hand so that it is
a tall cylinder. You then light it on fire and it burns down, but right
before it gets to your hand the entire things lifts into the air and it
finishes burning.

Well, we had one of the youth come up to be the demonstrater, but then we
couldn't light the matches. So Hno Yulan came to help. I guess we didn't
explain well in Spanish what to do because he dropped the match onto the top
of the tea bag, which lit it on fire and then the match dropped to the kids
hand. Of course it burned his hand so on instinct he dropped it (I felt so
bad). All I could think was, "Oh no, don't burn the house down." Luckily the
bag is light enough that it stayed in the air with a couple of lifts from me
and was able to burn out. I was slightly burned in the process, but at least
no houses were burned. :). Hopefully the next demonstration goes better than
that.

We also have a baptism for Jackie set for next week. It was amazing because
on Sunday she stood up to bear her testimony and she started crying. She
said how grateful she was for everybody and the experiences she's had. Also
how she loved the sisters :). But the greatest part was when she said, "And
it has made me so happy. And because I'm happy I am going to be baptized."
She was crying, her mom was crying, Sis. Lakip was crying, I was smiling.
Everything is set for next Wednesday. She just has her interview tonight.

Yes, I would like my raincoat back. We still have random rainstorms here and
it would be good to have. I don't know why Connecticut is more wet than New
York, but it really seeems like it. Maybe it's just the rainy season now. Go
figure.

Question, Did Nancy Madsen move? I never heard if she did or not. Do you
know what Kristin has been up to?

Anyway, love you all and miss you. Thanks for the birthday cards. They
lightened up the day. Again love you lots and hope you have a great week.

Love,
Erin

No comments: