Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yes, life does have a way of throwing sunshine at you!

Hola Familia,

Another week come and gone in the lovely town of Kingston. It has warmed up
the past few days, which has been great. Yesterday was 50 degrees, which it
hasn't been in a long time. Yeah for Spring, Boo for Daylight Savings, I'm
still adjusting.

Things continue to go well here in New York. At times I get discouraged, but
as I learned this week a big part of life is remembering and when I get
discouraged I think about all the blessings I have been promised by
continuing forward. So I continue forward. Remember is the most important
word in the dictionary!

This week we taught Ivan. He's the man from El Salvador and usually we teach
in Spanish, but it's difficult because I'm the only on teaching since Sis.
Koscinski is English speaking. Well, this lesson was the do or drop lesson
(in that you better start doing or we are going to have to stop teaching
you), so we did it in English (since he really does understand English, he
just thinks he doesn't). Found out some important information like he
doesn't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet or that the Book of Mormon is
true. Pretty crucial testimonies. We haven't quite dropped him yet though.
We believe he has a desire to know the truth, he just won't specifically ask
if the Book of Mormon is true. He only asks to be directed to the truth.
That's when we said, You met the missionaries 7 years ago. Then another
sister chased down your car to talk to you (literally she chased down his
car), then after they left, we started coming. You want to be led to the
truth, What if this IS the truth, but you won't ask? I hope it made a
difference.

It was a cool experience though because he told me at one point that he
didn't believe Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith. And he asked me if I
knew it. I'll be honest, my mind started racing and I thought, "Here's the
moment, can I honestly answer that I know Joseph Smith saw them and that he
was a prophet." And I could. I felt the Spirit there with me and I testified
to him that the First Vision really did happen and that we had a prophet on
the earth today. He asked me again "Esta seguro?" (Are you sure?) and I
could tell him again, that I was sure. I believe it made him think.
Hoepfully it will get him to do some soul-searching.

He's are only progressing investigator at the moment. We are trying to find
more. I continue to work to improve. It's not always easy, but I get
through. Remembering those blessings help :) and remembering the tender
mercies of the Lord each day.

My tender mercy one day was my District Leader. He "called" me to be the
Culinary Arts Director for the district. Well, last Thursday we had Zone
Conference and while there I asked one of the Elders in my district to bring
the treats for district meeting. He was about to object (of course all in
good fun), when my district leader, Elder Miller jumps in (of course, in
more good fun), "Elder Felix, she is the district culinary arts director,
and duly assigned. You should be respecting and helping her with her
assignment, not avoiding it..." He went on for more, but I was laughing to
hard to hear the rest of it. One thing I'm learning. You need to laugh or
life can get dreary, especially with how much rejection we get a day. But we
go through the rejection to find the one willing to listen.

Well, time runs short. And I have many a thing to do today. Know that I am
well and still working. Again, thanks so much for your letters, they do
bring a bit of happiness into my day.

Love,
Sis. Erin Price

No comments: